Citizen Service Requests

IMPORTANT NOTE: We are able to provide you with updates and answers for your service request via e-mail; however, you MUST provide us with your e-mail address and click on the link “Click here to configure your notification preferences” found at the bottom of the “1. Personal Info,Tell Us About Yourself” page. Make sure you check the "Email" box and select OK

Submit a new Service Request

  • 1. Personal Info
  • 2. Where and What
  • 3. Details
  • 4. Confirm

Tell Us About Yourself

Need a second line?

Choose how you wish to be notified about changes or updates to your service requests.

Please provide us with the following information regarding your request:

Where is the issue?

Search for an address, or drag the pin to the map to mark the location of the issue.


What type of issue? *

The type you chose has FAQs or Knowledge base articles available:

  1. How do I file a pothole damage claim resulting from a pothole on a state road? Read More
  2. Where do I report a maintenance issue (pothole, deer carcass, sign problems, guide rail damage, other) on the NJ Turnpike or Garden State Parkway?  Read More
  3. Where do I report a pothole/maintenance issue on a county road? Read More
  4. Where do I report a pothole/maintenance issue on a state road? Read More

Enter any comments you may have regarding this issue:


For certain issues, it's helpful to provide photos or documents to help us understand the issue. If you have any such files, please add them here.

Thank you

Your service request has been submitted. Below are the details. Please keep this information for your records. We will notify you when there are updates to the status of your request, based on your selected notification preferences.

Your Comments



What would you like to do now?