You are eligible to apply for handicapped plates or a placard if you are affected by one of the following conditions:
- Have lost the use of one or more limbs as a consequence of paralysis, amputation, or other permanent disability
- Are severely and permanently disabled and cannot walk without the use of or assistance from a brace, cane, crutch, another person, prosthetic device, wheelchair or other assistive device
- Suffer from lung disease to such an extent that your forced (respiratory) expiratory volume for one second, when measured by spirometry, is less than one liter, or the arterial oxygen tension is less than sixth mm/hg on room air at rest, or uses portable oxygen
- Have a cardiac condition to the extent that your functional limitations are classified in severity as Class III or Class IV according to standards set by the American Heart Association
- Are severely and permanently limited in the ability to walk because of an arthritic, neurological, or orthopedic condition, or cannot walk 200 feet without stopping to rest
- Have a permanent sight impairment of both eyes as certified by the NJ Commission of the Blind
No other person is eligible for special parking privileges. A physician's certificate is required as part of the initial application process and MVC may require you to submit a statement from your doctor recertifying qualification at the time of renewal. (N.J.A.C. 13:20-9.1 (a) 4.).
Download the Application for Vehicle License Plates and/or Placard for Persons with a Disability (PDF) for more detailed information.