- Police Division
- Neighborhood Watch
Welcome to Hamilton Township's Neighborhood Watch Program's website. We welcome you to explore the page for information and tips about how to identify and prevent crime in order to keep each and every neighborhood in our community safe.
Local Crime Watch meetings are held throughout Hamilton Township each spring and fall, allowing you the opportunity to meet your fellow neighbors and members of the Hamilton Township Police Department to discuss and exchange information and ideas to help keep our community crime-free.
Crime prevention starts with each of us individually and can have greater success by joining and working together. This partnership between the Police and the community has proven invaluable and helps to make Hamilton a safe place to work, shop, live and play.
Don't Let The Bad Guy Win!
James M. Stevens, Chief of Police
Get Involved and Help Deter Crime to Keep Your Neighborhood Safe!
Hamilton Police Neighborhood Watch Crime Watch Tips
- Do not tell strangers your daily routine or brag about valuables you own.
- If you are at home working outside, leave all other doors that are out of sight locked.
- Avoid telling others about the valuables in your home. Don’t make folks envious of your wealth status.
- If you have children, discuss home security with them such as not talking with strangers about their home, its contents, or family schedules. More importantly teach your children not to talk to strangers and not to let strangers approach close to them. Re Enforce “Stranger Danger” to them!
- Don’t invite strangers into your home. Call local police if you have doubts as to the identity or purpose of the uninvited stranger(s) at your door. Don't be a victim of a "distraction burglary"!
- Use a peep-hole (if you have one) before opening up your door to check to see who it is. Do not make yourself vulnerable to uninvited person(s) at your door! Don't be a victim of a home invasion robbery!
- Don’t hide keys outside where clever thieves may guess its location. Consider giving a set to a trusted neighbor.
- Always lock all doors and windows when leaving the house. Lock doors and windows at night before going to bed! Use deadbolt locks!
- If you have a window air conditioner, use screws to firmly attach the unit to the window and frame with heavy-duty 3-inch to 4-inch long wood screws. Install a wood plank or jimmy bar in the window track above the top of the window that is attached to the A/C, or install a long screw/nail in the window track to prevent raising the window further from outside.
- Change locks when moving into a new residence. One never knows how many others have spare keys to your new home or apartment. Upgrade to pick-resistant and key bump-resistant deadbolt locks when changing locks.
- Beware of advertising your "real-time" location on social-linked internet websites such as 4 Square, etc... Burglars use this information to target your home for a burglary while you are away.
- Hamilton Residents can call for a free Hamilton Police Home Security Survey to determine possible vulnerabilities of their homes that should be addressed to help prevent a potential burglary. Call (609) 581-4034.