The following guidelines refer to the official social media pages of Hamilton Township, Mercer County, New Jersey ("Township"). For more information about Hamilton Township, please visit www.HamiltonNJ.com. If you have an emergency or need immediate assistance, please do not report a crime on our social media forums.
The Township will use social media tools and other emerging media platforms in specific ways to reach a broader audience and increase citizen engagement. The goals of the Township's social media platforms are to increase the public's knowledge, trust, and use of Township services; promote the value and importance of Township services among and between governing officials, civic leaders, and the general public; and maintain open, professional, and responsive communication with members of the public and the news media.
The purpose of this policy is to set forth the Township's policies and procedures regulating the Township's presence on social media. Any content maintained on official Township social media platforms may be subject to public disclosure upon request. Activity on official Township social media accounts is subject to all applicable federal, state, and local laws, regulations, and policies.
Citizen engagement is encouraged; however, comments posted to this page will be monitored, and inappropriate content may be hidden or removed from public view as soon as possible and without prior notice. Under the Hamilton Township Social Media Use Policy, Guidelines, Standards and Procedures, the Township reserves the right to hide or remove from public view inappropriate content, including, but not limited to:
- Profane language or content
- Content that promotes, fosters, or perpetuates discrimination on the basis of race, creed, color, age, religion, gender, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, national origin, physical or mental disability, or sexual orientation
- Sexual content or links to sexual content
- Content that includes unlawful harassment or threats of violence
- Comments that are not topically related or out of context
- Solicitations of commerce
- Conduct or encouragement of illegal activity
- Information that may tend to compromise the safety or security of the public or public systems
- Content that violates a legal ownership interest of any other party
- Content that defames any person, group, or organization
- False content or any malicious statements concerning any employee, the Township, or its operations
- Disclosure of any proprietary, confidential, or privileged information
- Repeated postings of inappropriate or inflammatory material