Are there any programs that provide heating/cooling assistance?


Energy Assistance Programs are administered through the State of NJ Department of Community Affairs. For additional information call 609-633-2378 or send us an email.

NJShares Energy Assistance: the Bromley Neighborhood Center (609-587-8100) is an intake agency for Hamilton residents interested in applying for energy assistance through NJShares. The toll free number for NJShares is 866-657-4273 (866-NJSHARES).

The Weatherization Assistance Program is administered by Mercer County's Housing and Community Development Office. It is a program to help people with very limited resources reduce their fuel bills, save energy and have warmer homes in the process.

Who Can Apply?

  • Residents of Mercer County
  • Both Homeowners and families that rent may apply for energy conservation assistance
  • Persons 60 years of age, individuals who are handicapped and families with young children are given priority consideration

Income Limits

Eligible applicants must meet the following gross annual income limits:

Family SizeAnnual Household Income
  • Each additional family member: $7,480

Four Basic Steps in the Process

Step 1: Interested persons submit an application to the Mercer County Housing and Community Development Office located at 640 South Broad Street, Trenton, NJ. Applications can be obtained online or by visiting the office or calling 609-989-6858.

Step 2: Approved applications receive a free home energy audit conducted by the County housing personnel. The home energy audit determines the type of energy conservation measure(s) that are required to reduce the energy cost of each residence.

Step 3: Mercer County employs a contractor to install the energy conservation measures identified during the energy audit.

Step 4: A final inspection is conducted by County housing personnel to insure that all the home improvements have been properly installed.

The contractor is paid by Mercer County.

The Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)

The LIHEAP application period runs from October 1st to April 30th of each year. This allows residents to apply to pay for home heating and medically necessary cooling costs through bill payment assistance, energy crisis assistance and energy-related home repairs. To be eligible, applicants must be responsible for home heating or cooling costs, either directly or included in the rent, and have gross income at, or below, 200% of the federal poverty level. Residents can register for assistance at the McDade Administration Building, Room 106, 640 S Broad Street, Trenton. Residents can also register by appointment only at County Connection on Route 33. Information is also available online at the Mercer County Connection page.

For more information, contact the Mercer County Housing and Community Development Office at 609-989-6858 or 609-989-6959.

Show All Answers

1. Are there any programs that provide heating/cooling assistance?
2. Are there any records of my property ever having a well?
3. As a home improvement contractor, am I required to be licensed?
4. Do small businesses have to register with the township?
5. Does PSE&G offer any payment assistance programs?
6. Does the township test for lead?
7. How can I submit a service request from my phone?
8. How do I contact the Hamilton Township School District?
9. How do I discontinue delivery of the Trenton Times weekender advertisement?
10. How do I find out if a property is zoned residential or commercial?
11. How do I find the agenda for the Zoning Board or Planning Board meeting?
12. How do I get a bond release?
13. How do I get a taxi/limousine license?
14. How do I get access to current bus, train and light rail schedule information?
15. How do I get blue prints for my house?
16. How do I view the agendas, minutes and proposed ordinances of the Township Council?
17. I am looking for lawyer referral services; who should I contact?
18. Is hunting permitted in the township?
19. Is my contractor registered?
20. Is there any income tax preparation assistance being provided?
21. There are colored markings on my property; what do they mean?
22. What are the demographics of Hamilton Township?
23. What is Neighborhood Watch and when are the community meetings?
24. What is the fee for having the Health Department read well water test results?
25. What is the NJ One-Call (call before you dig) number?
26. What is the PSE&G pole-attached solar project?
27. What is the standard size for a parking space?
28. What permits and licenses are issued by the Municipal Clerk's Office?
29. Where do I find information or report a complaint about NJ Transit?
30. Where do I find out information about Project Freedom in Hamilton?
31. Where do I get a mercantile license?
32. Where do I get an application for a Contractor's Registration?
33. Where is the John O. Wilson Center located and what programs does it offer?
34. Who can apply for a Mercer County ID card and what is the requirements?
35. Who do I call to file a noise complaint?
36. Who do I contact for information about the Historical Society?
37. Who do I contact if a utility line is down?
38. Who do I contact if I lost something in Veteran's Park?
39. Who do I contact in the County for information on the Wellness Discount Program?
40. Who do I contact to file a complaint about a restaurant?
41. Who do I contact to inquire about affordable housing?
42. Who do I report mosquito problems to?
43. Who should I contact for winter energy assistance?
44. Who should I contact with a complaint about my utility services such as natural gas, electricity, water, telecommunications and cable TV?
45. Why am I experiencing discoloration and/or decreased water pressure?
46. Why are garbage disposals not permitted in the Township?
47. Why do I receive mail that shows my city as Trenton instead of Hamilton?