- Police Division
- Frequently Asked Questions
Frequently Asked Questions
- How do I report speeders or request radar attention on my street?
To report ongoing traffic problems or to request radar attention you may leave a Service Request which will be routed to the Police Department, or you may call the Field Operations Bureau at 609-581-4024 to report the problem directly to the police.
- How do I report drug activity in my neighborhood?
Call the Hamilton Police Narcotics Tip-Line at 609-581-4058 and either speak to the narcotics bureau investigators or leave a message. You can leave your tip anonymously or leave your name and number for an investigator to contact you.
- How do I report other neighborhood crime problems of an ongoing nature?
If this is an actual emergency where people or property are in any danger, call 911!
If you see a crime or offense occurring at this time, call 609-581-4000 right away and report it to the police, a patrol car should be deployed as soon as possible. If you simply wish to leave information regarding ongoing nuisance problems, you can call the Field Operations Bureau's Office at 609-581-4024 and discuss the situation with the police directly.
- How do I become a School Traffic Guard?
To become a School Traffic Guard you would have to fill out an application at Hamilton Police Headquarters Monday through Friday between the hours of 8:30 am to 4:30 pm, Monday through Friday. It would be best to call ahead and make an appointment to be certain that someone is available to take the application. You will also have to sign a "privacy waiver" regarding a background investigation which will be conducted prior to considering any applicants for employment as School Traffic Guards. If you have any further questions or would like to schedule an appointment, call the Traffic Unit at 609-581-4024 Monday through Friday from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm.
- My neighborhood seems so peaceful, but rumor has it there have been some crime problems. How do I get the real scoop on what’s going on?
Participate in your area Neighborhood Watch Program; also check out the Hamilton Police blotter.
- I want to get involved, but how do I call Police and avoid retaliation because someone might see them come to my door?
Whenever you talk to a Police Dispatcher or any other member of the Police Division, simply tell them you wish to remain anonymous.
- I’ve seen a little graffiti in my neighborhood. Is this something I should be worried about, or should I chalk it up to kids being kids?
It’s criminal mischief for which there is zero tolerance. Report it as soon as possible and let the police investigate. If you have information on someone doing graffiti in Hamilton, there is a substantial monetary reward for information that results in the arrest or criminal charges against someone involved. Call the Graffiti Hotline at 609-581-4021.
- I’m afraid my child is being bullied into joining a gang. What are my options?
Gang resistance education is available from our Educational Services Unit. Call 609-581-4028, or you can seek advice through our Juvenile Unit at 609-581-4128.
- We’ve got some new kids in the neighborhood. They haven’t caused any trouble, but they have friends who speed up and down our streets. How do we get those friends to slow down?
Ongoing traffic problems can be brought directly to the attention of the vehicle Traffic Unit at 609-581- 4024. If you suspect drug activity, call our Narcotics Hotline at 609-581-4058. You can also call 609-581-4000 to request an immediate patrol car to be dispatched to the scene to take action on a problem as it occurs.
- I don’t know if what I’m seeing is actually suspicious, but I think it might be. What do I do?
Whenever you find yourself questioning whether or not something is suspicious, call the Police Dispatcher at 609-581-4000. Tell them what you've seen and let them determine the proper course of action.
- How do I get permission to have a street blocked off for a special event?
Please submit an application for a special event to the Clerk's Office.